The application of plants being manufactured into oils and aids for medicines was common in the early 19th century when people relied on the naturally grown flora and fauna to help them with any internal or external anomalies they’d faced. But today, despite of the advent of technology, artificially developed chemicals and medicines , people seem to choose the Ayurvedic and organic plant and flower infused oils and remedies as healers, more than ever.
This is what has contributed to rising market share and demand of lemongrass oil, of whose India is the largest producer. There are approximately 55 species of this plant which is a perennial grass thriving in tropical climates, like in India. Are used in cultivating a Lemongrass oil, which is extracted from these fresh and partly dried lemongrass stems and grass through steam distillation.
This oil extraction has opened a market to many niches of consumers and here’s every reason why you should get your hands on this business.
Market potential and uses
The market for lemongrass has been widening ever since the awareness about its healing and curing properties for skin, hair, health, digestion have been spreading among the consumers.
The potential for lemongrass oil is not limited to cater to the domestic Indian demand but has instilled a global demand indeed. India, because of its soil properties and a suitable tropical climate produces fresh and vibrantly lemony lemongrass yielding a very fruitful extraction to produce essential oils.
This capability of Indian has caused many nations to hoard on their imports of lemongrass to take advantage of that freshness and efficiency of lemongrass oil. The major importers being nations from Western Europe and North America.
The primary reason behind this demand for lemongrass oil can be explained through its
- For curing acne
- As an oil controlling toner
- As a gentle face scrub
- Used for hair
- In shampoos and conditioner
- As an anti-dandruff hair rinse
- Lemongrass hair oil
- Reduce fever
- Release headache
- Soothe digestion
- Ease muscle pain
- Used as a mosquito spray
- Insect repellent diffuser blend
- Flea killing carpet powder
- Relaxing blend
- Claiming blend
- Refreshing blend
- Clean breathing blend
- Factory licence
- Trade license
- Udyog Aadhar MSME registration
- GST Registration
- NOC by the state pollution control board
The investment required to set up a lemongrass oils making business would be between ₹5 lakhs – ₹10 lakhs.
The profits made from a lemongrass oil making business would be ₹ 40000-₹50000 per month.
The consumer market for a lemongrass oil making business is huge depending on the utility it is likely to provide to the end consumer because of its numerous applications.
Spas and massage centers : They make use of lemongrass oil as essential oil for the purpose of aromatherapy for g their body and also makes use of it for customers with needs like hair spa and facials to give them a rejuvenating experience with the refreshing and hydrating benefits of lemon grass after.
Pharmaceutical and Ayurvedic industry: They make use of lemon grass oil to be infused in modern medicines because of its healing properties like soothes digestion, releases tension in muscle pain, reduces headaches etc.
Tea industries : The tea making industries also make use of lemongrass oil in their tea bags for the purposes of proving variety to the organic green tea drinkers and also to ensure calm and relaxed blend.
Meditative and retreat centers : They make use of lemongrass oil as a prerequisite in meditative massages because of the calming, relaxing, refreshing and clean breathing properties of lemongrass oil.
Cleaning industry: They make use of lemongrass oil in disinfectants, mosquitoes repellent and flea repellents as a cleaning adhesive for carpet cleaning and sanitizing are houses, offices, hospitals etc.
Food and beverage industry: Make use of lemon grass oil infusion in their beverages like smoothies and salad dressing to benefit from the diverting consumption patterns to health conscious diet.
Fragrance industry: The use of lemon grass oil in perfumes, scented candles, mists, moisturizers and also in incense sticks have been common.
The area required to set up a lemongrass oil making business would be 1000 sq ft.
Raw material ,Machinery & Manpower
- Lemon grass ( 90%-98% ) citral
- Oil ( 1%-2% )
- Bottles and caps
- Evaporator vessel
- Florentine flask
- Steam boiler
- Cooling tower
- 1-production manager
- 2-skilled workers
- 3-unskilled workers
The business model for a lemongrass oil making business can be defined using 4 variants
Value proposition: The unique selling point (USP) and the value which a lemongrass oil making business is likely to bring to you is :
- Diverting consumption patterns of consumers to organic and herbal products for their body is likely to keep the demand for lemongrass oil up.
- The low cost of production because of lemongrass being a home grown products.
- Spas and facial spaces
- Meditative and retreat centres
- Cleaning and sanitising industry
- Pharmaceutical and Ayurvedic industry
- Food and beverage industry
- The good scents company
- Plant therapy essential oils
- Aura Cacia essential oils
- Katyani exports
- Edens gardens essential oils
Marketing strategy: The marketing strategy to make most of the lemongrass oil making business to be adapted:
- Highlighting the manufacturing and extracting process through blogs to attract the retailers: pharmas and spas.
- Highlighting the cost efficiency, benefits and clinical proves in the social media ads and health blogs to attract the consumers who are skin conscious.
The lemongrass oil making business has the potential and has witnessed the growth prospects which as follows
- The global market for lemongrass oil is expected to reach to the value of $232 million throughout ( 2019-2025) at a CAGR of 8.4%.
- The demand for lemongrass oil has been plush on a global scale as well, of which India is the largest producer having said that 10% of the lemongrass oil comes from Japan, one of the largest consumer markets.
One is likely to yield a profit margin of 10% From a lemongrass oil making business.
Why don’t you relax yourself with some scalp massage using that lemongrass oil while we help you make a decision
- The shifting consumption patterns to rely on natural remedies than modern medicines among the Gen Z consumers especially is likely to keep up the demand for lemongrass oil.
- The cost of production is minimal with abundance of lemongrass in nation, easy supply chain management and lower investment.
- The in-discovery applications of lemongrass oil had opened a a market to global and local consumers who use them in candles, perfumes etc.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by StartupYo (SAB Weblabs Pvt. Ltd). While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and truest to the best of our knowledge, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.