The income tax refund status can be checked through NSDL by visiting the e-filing website at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home by following just six simple steps.
About Understanding the process of income tax refunds
Here is a general overview inorder to understand the process of Income tax refund. First of all it requires filing a tax return with the relevant tax authority. Next comes the assessment step, the tax authorities review and assess the tax return information for accuracy and adherence to tax laws. Once this step is done, the tax authority determines your refund, once it’s clear you are eligible for refund. The tax authorities start the process of refund issuance. This refund is usually issued through a bank account, but in some cases it’s mailed to you. Then comes the verification and processing check which is conducted to prevent fraud or errors. After the verification process is over the refund is distributed.
Step-by-step guide to checking ITR status through NSDL portal
- Visit NSDL e-filing website at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Login with your appropriate login details and fill the captcha code field.
- Select View e-filed returns/forms.
- Locate the year of assessment and check ITR status and click on a knowledgement number.
- You can find your ITR details on the page, including the filing status.
- Check your ITR status at the Status column, you will be indicated whether your returns have been processed, pending or No demand, no refund.
- If the return has been processed, check your status message to get more information.
Filing income tax return (ITR)
Filing income tax return (ITR) is an essential requirement for individuals or businesses, it’s important to report about their income and financial information to the government. Here is what we should keep in view while Filing income tax return:
- Necessary documents: gather income related necessary documents, like
- W-2 forms for employment individuals,
- 1099 forms for self-employed,
- Bank statement,
- Investment statements, and other records that are related to finance.
- Filling method: choose a traditional paper or electronic online method which is much faster and convenient in today’s era.
- Filing status: determine your appropriate filing status like single, married, married filing separately or jointly, household head, widow or widower. This determines your filing status affects your tax rates and deductions.
- Income and deduction: calculate your income by adding your all income sources then you need to subtract deduction to arrive at your taxable income.
- Necessary tax forms: fill necessary tax forms as per tax regulations.
- Review: review tax returns for accuracy and double-check all the necessary information, as mistakes can lead to delay or penalties.
- Submitting tax returns: submit your tax return as per your choice either electronically by following tax agency or tax software instructions or go for the traditional way and mail the forms to the tax agency’s address.
- Pay owed taxes or claim Income tax refund: pay owed taxes by the due date specified by the tax authorities. You can also claim a refund which can get directly deposited into your bank account or you can receive it via mail.
- Copies and records: keep a maintained record of your filed tax return for a few years as they can benefit you in future.
Tracking income tax refund status
Inorder to track income tax refund status or status check follow the below mentioned procedure:
- Visit the official e-filing website of income tax department at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Login to your account with appropriate user ID and password, in case you are new then you can register yourself by clicking on “Register Yourself” option.
- On the top menu bar click on the “My Account” tab.
- Choose “Refund/Demand Status” from the drop-down menu under the “My Account ” tab.
- Provide the required details like assessment year, PAN, Captcha Code.
- Submit the details by clicking on the “Submit” option and proceed.
- View refund status will be displayed and it can be like Refund paid, if refund has been processed and paid. Refund unpaid, in case if refund has not been processed and No demand, no refund can surface, if there is no refund or demand against your PAN.
Read More:What is Indirect Tax?
Resolving common issues with income tax refunds
The common issues with income tax refund are checking refund status, verifying bank details, how to get in contact with Assessing Officer for refund issue, grievance filing, professional help seeking, approaching the Tax ombudsman and more. All these issues can be resolved with the help of this general guid.
- Checking return status: if you are facing issues in checking your return status, you can simply visit official website of income tax department at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
Go to Refund/Demand Status in My Account section to check your return status.
- Bank account details verification: provide accurate bank account information and cross-check the information. If there’s an error, you can file an online rectifying request through the e-filing portal.
- Refund issue: get in touch with the Assessing Officer in case of a refund status issue ( if your status is showing a refund issued but you have not received it). ITR acknowledgement can provide AOs contact information, you can also reach out via phone or email or by logging into the e-filing portal.
- Filing Grievance: if AOs are not able to resolve your issue you can file a grievance. Go to the e-filing portal and navigate “e-Nivaran” and file your grievance.
- Tax Ombudsman: in case your grievance is not resolved you can approach the Tax Ombudsman and you can get connected with the Tax Ombudsman on the official website of the income tax department.
- Professional help: if the issue is not resolved seek help from a tax professional or chartered accountant.
Income Tax Refund (ITR) Status Check through NSDL is very effective inorder to know about income tax status. The NSDL will even help you in solving issues related to income tax refund and make every possible effort so that the refund is provided to the deserving individuals.
How to visit the NSDL e-filing website?
The NSDL e-filing website can be visited at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home.
What are the common issues with income tax refunds?
There are many common issues with income tax refund like checking refund status, verifying bank details, how to get in contact with Assessing Officer for refund issue, grievance filing, professional help seeking, approaching the Tax ombudsman and more.
What are the three types of refund status that are displayed by the portal?
Refund paid, Refund unpaid and No demand, no refund are the three types of refund status.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by StartupYo (SAB Weblabs Pvt. Ltd). While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and truest to the best of our knowledge, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.