Table of Contents
FSSAI registration 2021: Types, Fees, Documents & Registration Process
The FSSAI License is given by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, under the Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006. This was introduced to improve the standards of food and hygiene of the establishment and one cannot operate without a FSSAI License. This was established by the UPA government in 2011 under the aegis of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare with 5 regions.
The main benefits of obtaining the license is that it enhances the credibility of the organisation. It also streamlines all the processes involved from manufacturing to distribution and sale of the food products and makes sure that establishments are maintaining safety and hygiene standards.
FSSAI REGISTRATION TYPES AND FEE
FSSAI Registration Fee varies and depends on the sort of license the business is obtaining There are three different kinds of licenses namely:
Basic FSSAI License or FSSAI registration –
- This is for businesses with Annual turnover below 12 lakhs
- Costs Rs. 100 per year.
- Procurement capacity of less than 500 litres and production of 100 litres a day.
- Petty retailers or hawkers
- Slaughtering capacity : up to two large animals or ten small animals or 50 poultry birds per day.
State FSSAI License –
- This is for businesses with Annual turnover above 12 and below 20 crores.
- Dairies with a capacity of 2.5MT .
- Costs Rs. 2000 – 5000 per year.
- Hotels upto 4 stars.
- Food wholesalers and transporters with annual revenue of upto Rs 30 crores.
- Slaughter house: more than 50 poultry birds/ 11 small animals / 3 large animals or with up to than 500kg of meat per day.
Central FSSAI License –
- This is for businesses with Annual turnover above 20 crores.
- Costs Rs. 7500 per year.
- 5 star hotels.
- Food importers/exporters and e- commerce retailers.
- Food service establishments at central govt buildings or railways.
- Food wholesalers and transporters with annual revenue of over Rs 30 crores.
- Dairies with a capacity of 50,000 litres.
- Slaughter house: More than 500 kgs a day.
Source : https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/PDF/SearchYourBusinessHereEligibilityCriteraforFBOs.pdf
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR FSSAI REGISTRATION
- Basic FSSAI License
- ID proof (Adhaar, Pan and etc)
- Passport size photo of the applicant.
- State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License
- ID proof (Adhaar, Pan and etc)
- Passport size photo of the applicant(s).
- Names of Directors or partners or the propreitor.
- Address proof of the establishment
- Establishment plan
- NOC from the local authorities with the list of equipment being used
- Water Test report
- Incorporation certificate of the partnership or company ( If it’s the company MOA & AOA need to be attached with this)
- NOC from the fire department
- List of categories of food being served/made
- Certificate from Ministry of Tourism ( only for hotels)
- NOC from the manufacturer
- FSSAI form IX
- Vehicles declarations ( for food transporters)
FSSAI Registration Requirement:
FSSAI registration is mandatory for anyone running a food establishments irrespective of their size. There are three kinds of FSSAI license and one needs to apply for them based on their size (Refer to the first subheading).
Who will require a license :
• Anyone involved in procurement, manufacture, distribution , processing or packaging of any food.
• Wholesaler of food or raw materials.
• Hotels, Restaurants and food chains
• Food sellers and resellers : Juice stalls, sweet shops, canteens and etc
• Dairy and dairy processing
• Food importers and exporters
• Cottage industries like pickle and dry fruit maker
• Manufacturers who produce edibles such as biscuits & ready to eat products
Exception : warehouses require a food safety registration.
VALIDITY OF THE LICENSE
The license is usually given for 1-5 years. A establishment must apply for renewal 30 days before expiry and non compliance will attract a fine.
- The first step is to submit Form A (application) or Form B for a state/central license to the Food and Safety Department zone office. ( online avalibale on https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx)
- Can also apply online here by registering FBO : https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/UserRegistration.aspx
- The documents required will differ based on what license is required (above)
- The authorities will accept or reject in 7 days and intimate the applicant.
- If accepted, the registration certificate will be granted by the department with the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
- The establishment is mandated to ‘prominently display’ the said certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours.
Penalty for Non- Compliance
Sl.No Particulars Fine
1 Food quality not in compliance with act 2 Lakh Petty manufacturer – 25,000/-
2 Sub-standard food 5 Lakh
3 Misbranded Food 3 Lakh
4 Misleading advertisement or false description 10 Lakh
5 Extraneous matter in food 1 Lakh
6 Failure to comply with Food safety officer direction 2 Lakh
7 Unhygienic processing or manufacture 1 Lakh
Source : https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx
• How to download FSSAI registration certificate?
You can download it from your portal with the same credentials used to register your FOB online
• How to pay for FSSAI registration?
Through online transfer
• How to renew FSSAI registration?
Can be done on the FSSAI website by filling the same forms as registration.
• How to check FSSAI registration number?
Can be checked on https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/cmsweb/TrackFBO.aspx
• How to apply food license online?
Can apply here https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/how_to_apply.html
• What is the procedure to get a restaurant license?
The same as above, the establishment needs to check which category they fall into and apply for the requisite license.
• How to change address in FSSAI license?
Log in online to do it.
• Does FSSAI provide training to food business operators?
Food Safety Training and Certification is provided.
• How to process FSSAI online registration in India?