The FSSAI License is given by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, under the Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006. This was introduced to improve the standards of food and hygiene of the establishment and one cannot operate without a FSSAI License. This was established by the UPA government in 2011 under the aegis of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare with 5 regions.
The main benefits of obtaining the license is that it enhances the credibility of the organisation. It also streamlines all the processes involved from manufacturing to distribution and sale of the food products and makes sure that establishments are maintaining safety and hygiene standards.
FSSAI Registration Fee varies and depends on the sort of license the business is obtaining There are three different kinds of licenses namely:
Source : https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/PDF/SearchYourBusinessHereEligibilityCriteraforFBOs.pdf
FSSAI registration is mandatory for anyone running a food establishments irrespective of their size. There are three kinds of FSSAI license and one needs to apply for them based on their size (Refer to the first subheading).
Who will require a license :
• Anyone involved in procurement, manufacture, distribution , processing or packaging of any food.
• Wholesaler of food or raw materials.
• Hotels, Restaurants and food chains
• Food sellers and resellers : Juice stalls, sweet shops, canteens and etc
• Dairy and dairy processing
• Food importers and exporters
• Cottage industries like pickle and dry fruit maker
• Manufacturers who produce edibles such as biscuits & ready to eat products
Exception : warehouses require a food safety registration.
The license is usually given for 1-5 years. A establishment must apply for renewal 30 days before expiry and non compliance will attract a fine.
Sl.No Particulars Fine
1 Food quality not in compliance with act 2 Lakh Petty manufacturer – 25,000/-
2 Sub-standard food 5 Lakh
3 Misbranded Food 3 Lakh
4 Misleading advertisement or false description 10 Lakh
5 Extraneous matter in food 1 Lakh
6 Failure to comply with Food safety officer direction 2 Lakh
7 Unhygienic processing or manufacture 1 Lakh
Source : https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx
• How to download FSSAI registration certificate?
You can download it from your portal with the same credentials used to register your FOB online
• How to pay for FSSAI registration?
Through online transfer
• How to renew FSSAI registration?
Can be done on the FSSAI website by filling the same forms as registration.
• How to check FSSAI registration number?
Can be checked on https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/cmsweb/TrackFBO.aspx
• How to apply food license online?
Can apply here https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/how_to_apply.html
• What is the procedure to get a restaurant license?
The same as above, the establishment needs to check which category they fall into and apply for the requisite license.
• How to change address in FSSAI license?
Log in online to do it.
• Does FSSAI provide training to food business operators?
Food Safety Training and Certification is provided.
• How to process FSSAI online registration in India?
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get updates and learn from the best
More To Explore